Wednesday 25 December 2013

Saturday's festive catering: part 4


Part 4

(You can read part 1 here, part 2 here and part 3 here.)


Now the catering was all done I could leave the kitchen (admittedly in a dreadful state) and spend some time with our guests. We variously enjoyed cheese and biscuits and soup and bread and other savoury snacks as well as some mulled wine that Matt had made (not for expectant types) or soft drinks or tea. And then I remembered the mince pies, or the pastry at least. I am currently in possession of a large quantity of cooking apples so was planning on making a mixture of mince pies, apple pies and mince meat + apple pies. (I had prepared the apple earlier in the day by peeling chopping and whizzing in the microwave for a few minutes. The mincemeat was not home made this would just be one ask too many.) Once I had rolled out the pastry (by now there was a bit more space as the chocolate on the biscuit had set and they were all stacked up) there was a further delay in proceedings because I couldn't find my round cutters. After emptying the baking tin cupboard (again) and finding they weren't there I had a search through various other drawers and cupboards. I eventually found them (I say eventually but in reality it probably only took about 5 minutes, but it was a very frustrating 5 minutes) and used my newly discovered trick of dipping the cutter in flour before cutting 12 pastry discs to fit in my fairy cake tin. I also cut 12 little stars to go on top of the pies.

I don't know a lot about pastry but what I have learnt is that if you want to avoid a soggy bottom you should blind bake. What I learnt today is that blind baking tiny pastry cases in a fairy cake tin is not very easy. They sort of “grew” so that there wasn't much space for the filling so I took the executive decision to sort of reshape the partly baked cases with a measuring spoon (it has a nice, smooth spherical aspect to it). I added the fillings, topped with the stars, put them in the oven and returned to spend more time with our guests (this after all was the main aim of the day).

I had had enough of the kitchen now so delegated to Matt the important task of taking the pies out of the oven when they were ready. This was risky:
* Matt gets easily distracted
* The light in the oven is broken
* I think that the thermostat is not working perfectly which might explain why the biscuits were done in super quick (in fact quite a few things about the oven are broken, we might get a new one depending on the financial situation in the new year, or maybe I could get an oven manufacturer to sponsor me!)
But Matt, did a good job - they looked just right.

Time was flying by and some of our guests soon had to leave, but not before we had had the ceremonial first eating of the Bûche de Noel. I didn't partake of the first round but I was assured by those who did that it was very good. I would wait until later in the evening to find out for myself.

I did however fancy a mince pie. Unfortunately, despite careful greasing of the tin they proved somewhat difficult to remove, but with a bit of digging with a teaspoon they mostly came out in tact (thanks again to Matt). The weird semi blind baking / reshaping didn't seem to do too much (if any) harm and they tasted pretty nice. (I must say that I am start to enjoy the whole home made pastry thing; it seems to give a bit of kudos amongst other bakers too!) Sorry, I neglected to take a photo but I have plenty of witnesses to attest to the mince pies' existence.

After a bit more savoury snacking ('tis after all the season for my favourite wafer and processed cheese ball shaped snack) I decided that it was time to try the Bûche for myself. I wasn't disappointed and I'm not usually a big cream fan. I had been concerned about how to store the leftovers but it didn't seem that this was going to be much of a problem. It would certainly be gone in another 24 hours. And I must say that the cherries were a wise addition, it added a nice fruity dimension.

So after all that I had sort of achieved 50% of what I had hoped to bake:
* Cheese straws: none made. These would have to be done for another occasion.
* Mince pies: 12 made. Including some apple pies and mixed mincemeat and apple pies.
* Celebrity chef (the one who does all the “science”) inspired gingerbread Christmas tree: not made. But there were a whole lot of chocolate decorated multi-spice biscuits. The full on tree will have to wait for another year when I either have more time or am more organised.
* Brandy snaps: none made. Probably no bad thing, I would probably have made a ghastly mess.
* Yule log: 1 Bûche de Noel made. Very nice it was too. So nice I'm going to make another at my mum and dad's house, mainly because it's the best thing I can come up with to use the other half tin of chestnut purée. Apparently mum has the right sized swiss roll tin so I will finally find out what one of these looks like. But I'm going to put a bit more of my own twist on it next time so maybe it really can be called a “bouche (mouth) de Noel”.




No comments:

Post a Comment