Monday 23 December 2013

Saturday's festive catering: part 1

Matt had arranged a bit of a pre-Christmas gathering for his friends and family. It was unclear to me just how many friends and family would be attending (I was expecting somewhere between 3 and 20), so catering arrangements were a little tricky but it seemed like a good occasion for me to get on with some festive baking.

I had a long list of all the things that I wanted to make:
* Cheese straws
* Mince pies
* Celebrity chef (the one who does all the “science”) inspired gingerbread Christmas tree
* Brandy snaps
* Yule log

In addition we needed something slightly more nourishing to feed ourselves (and our guests if they chose to partake) so additionally needed:
* Soup – I had four leeks in the fridge destined for this
* Bread – to go with the soup. Matt would be responsible for this via the bread machine
* Cheese – courtesy of the supermarket.

I had intended to make the gingerbread tree the night before the gathering but to be honest after a tiring day at work and once I had been to the supermarket (for the above cheese – I even bought some pregnancy unfriendly types for the occasion, which in my current condition is quite a taunt to my palette – and some other supplies) I didn't really feel like spending the estimated 3 hours in the kitchen. And let's face it these time estimates in recipes are always inadequate. Instead I spent some quality time with the TV on Friday night (Matt was at his work night out so I had my choice entirely).

But Saturday would be a busy day in the kitchen. I started with the mince pies. Well, the pastry anyway. The recipe I used today was 100g butter rubbed into 200g plain flour and then 25g icing sugar and an egg yolk stirred through (I am now left with one egg white). For some reason I decided not to use the food processor for this, maybe because I thought I might need it for something else later, but it was pretty quick anyway and I put the pastry ball away in the fridge to chill until mince pies were called for.

Going by the rule of “do the most difficult thing first” I should have really started getting on with the Yule log now. Instead I decided to make some gingerbread. Not the fancy tree, just some plain biscuits. The last time I made gingerbread I wasn't entirely satisfied with the outcome so I used a different recipe today. This one required you to melt 100g brown sugar (I used the dark & soft type) with 125g butter (I used unsalted but am really not convinced of the necessity of this) and 4 tablespoons of golden syrup (very difficult to measure). You then stir that all into the dry ingredients of 325g plain flour, 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and 2 teaspoons of ground ginger. I was unhappy about this level of spicing so also added a generous sprinkle of cinnamon and a bit of ground nutmeg – hopefully this would make them taste even more festive. I mixed it all up but it seemed really sloppy. I took the risk of adding a little more (1 tablespoon) flour and the mixture seemed to improve a bit. I rolled it out to an estimated 0.5cm in preparation of cutting.

Proceedings were now delayed slightly while I emptied the baking tin cupboard (yes, I realise I am very fortunate to have a whole cupboard of baking tins) to find the festive cookie cutters. They were obviously right at the back but I did find lots of things that I had forgotten that I had in the process. Proceedings were then delayed slightly further as I realised that I needed to give the cutters a bit of a clean before they could be used and I decided that I may as well do a load of dishes at the same time.

Back to the food preparation, I chose the cutters I wanted – holly leaves, Christmas tress (still thinking about my original plan), angels / fairies (depending on your preference) and snowmen (I could also have had Father Christmas, reindeer and candy canes but decided that less is more in terms of biscuit forms) – and set to cutting out the biscuits. Now comes the best thing that I learnt all day....
Dip the cutter in flour before cutting. I have never done this before but it was specifically mentioned in the recipe. I can't believe I have never done this before, the festive shapes just dropped out, none of that annoying getting stuck in the cutter and poking to try to to remove it. If you've never done this before you should try it. It really was a revelation.

Anyway 4 angels / fairies, 4 trees, 4 snowmen, and numerous easily cut holly leaves later (as well as a nondescript shape made with the leftover dough) I baked the biscuits at 170ยบC for just 7 minutes. The recipe said 9-10 minutes but I didn't want to risk them being too tough, especially after I had added that extra flour. The trick here is not to worry that they are still softish when they come out of the oven. I removed them onto a cooling tray, where they “solidified”. They could have some festive decoration added later.

To be continued.......

(This would be a really far too long blog if I don't split it up; you are after all getting multiple recipes.)



No comments:

Post a Comment