Sunday 24 November 2013

Sunday's scones

Having eaten a huge amount of bread yesterday (in the form of both bread and homemade pizza) I decided that we needed to ease off a bit. But we have a lot of soup to eat (made last weekend and I stupidly didn't make sure that there was space to freeze some before doing so – there wasn't) and while soup on its own for one meal in a day is just fine, for two meals in a day it isn't. We had a bowl of leek, potato and lentil each for lunch so I was thinking that it might be jacket potato time for tea.

But that all changed this afternoon with a trip to a local historic house. We didn't plan to go to the house (and actually we didn't), just have a walk around the estate to see the Autumn colours and top-up in the café. As it happened we also encountered the “Christmas Festival” (which explained the long queues and unusual one-way system), in which we didn't get anything Christmas-sy but did come out with two rather lovely clocks. This is what Matt and I have been intending to buy with some money kindly given to us by my aunt and uncle for our wedding, and now (only a little over 5 years later) we finally found the perfect items.

But I digress. Due to the "festival", the café top-up happened before the walk. This is obviously the wrong way round but I didn't want to risk café closure before we had got round – I'm dawdling even more than usual at the mo. We were quite good and shared a piece of chocolate caramel shortbread but I was very tempted by a cheese scone. What swung it was that I decided I could make a cheese scone a lot easily than the sweeter option. The chocolate caramel shortbread was delicious but all around the walk I was thinking about cheese scone. So, jacket potatoes were off and soup with cheese scone was on.
 
I wanted to try a different recipe to that which I have done previously and pulled out one for “spicy cheese scones” for my box. This called for caraway seeds, which I don't have (I think I really like them) but the basic recipe looked achievable. I had a slight moment of panic when I realised that I needed to add some cream of tartar as I didn't think I had any of that either (I'm intrigued as to what this actually is) but found an unopened tub in the baking cupboard. I mixed the dry ingredients together as instructed but also added ¼ of a teaspoon of mustard powder. This was as well as the listed cayenne pepper but it's so rare that I get an opportunity to use mustard powder and I accidentally have two nearly whole tins that I didn't want to pass on this rare chance.

 
Instead of using my fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients I used the food processor which is probably a good idea when cayenne pepper is involved. At least it was a good idea once I had spent a few moments befuddled before realising that I had missed a crucial component from the food processor assembly. Then you stir in the cheese. The recipe said 75g. I measured 85g before grating – you can never grate the last little bit that you're holding so you need to eat that, which accounts for the extra 10g. I have given up buying anything except the most mature cheddar I can find on special offer and I was hoping this would make the scones satisfyingly cheesy.
 

It was at the cheese stirring in stage that I thought that the butter might not have been properly incorporated into the dry ingredients. But it was too late to do anything about that now so I just carried on: stirring in an egg and about 150ml of milk. It would have been wise to not add all the milk at once but hindsight is a wonderful and the dough seemed only a little bit too soggy. But it was too soggy to be able to roll and cut so, rather than make individual scones, I sort of patted it out into two giant ones (a baking tray each). I scored them to mark approximate quarters and put them in the pre-heated oven at the hottest temperature possible (apparently that's a trick with scones). The baking time for individual scones was stated as 8 minutes so I gave these big ones ten – after which they were smelling amazing and looking tempting.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
While they cooled I had just enough time to reheat us a bowl of spiced pumpkin and sherry soup each. I made the mistake of cutting the scones initially (this damages the texture), but quickly realised that they should actually be torn apart. The amazing smell and tempting look was justified – perhaps the best cheese scone I have ever eaten (apart from in a hospital canteen in Oxford - seriously, they were amazing). The inside was really light and the outside had just the right sort of crunch about it. Matt's description was "munchifiable in the extreme" - these will be making a repeat appearance!
(Oh, and the soup wasn't bad either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment