Sunday 3 November 2013

Saturday's toffee apple tart

It being somewhere in the vicinity of Halloween and bonfire night I was thinking about toffee apples. I'm not really sure which festival (if you can refer to these dates as festivals) they are actually associated and I don't really like toffee apples but the flavour combination is something to work on. We had visitors due so it was a good excuse for a pudding. I envisaged a toffee apple tart. Unfortunately none of my recipe books nor cuttings envisaged a toffee apple tart so I would have to make it up.
 

I started off with some pastry. I am not a pastry expert – this can be put down to either:
  1. not inheriting my granny's excellent pastry making skills
  2. not enough practice
     
In the absence of any pastry direction I decided to just go with plain shortcrust – I thought that the filling would probably turn out sweet enough and sugared pastry would be excessive. So I found the most basic shortcrust pastry recipe I could and made that. I used the food processor for most of it which sped things up rather than the conventional technique of rubbing the butter into the flour with your fingers. It seemed to turn out ok and I rolled it out quite thinly into a sort of circular shape using my own devised method of placing it between two thin plastic chopping boards. This prevents the pastry from sticking to the rolling pin and prevents the rolling pin from getting to messy (or if you haven't washed the rolling pin up from another project you can still use it).



I could see my first potential problem being that of insufficient pastry. That would be because I just made the amount of pastry stated in the recipe rather than an amount specific to my tart dish. What I should have done was to get a smaller tart dish out but they are rather precariously arranged in a cupboard and I had already committed myself to this particular one. As I transferred the pastry into my selected tart dish my second potential problem (not unrelated to the first) became apparent: because I had rolled out the pastry so thinly it broke in a few places. The brittleness may also be put down to my non-pastry expert skills (see above). I did a bit of repair job and managed to end up with something that looked like a raw pastry case.



While the pastry case was chilling in the fridge I started work on the toffee apple filling. This would be entirely made up. I peeled and chopped 6 smaller (cox) and 2 larger (gala) eating apples taking particular care to remove the bits from around the core that are like finger nails (I never like finding those in puddings). Maybe cooking apples would have been more appropriate but I didn't have any. I put these in a frying pan along with a load of butter and a load of soft brown sugar. This is one of those creations where you don't really want to think about just how much sugar and butter goes into it. I didn't weigh but it probably amounted to about 150g of each. Then I added a little bit of lemon juice (to stop the apples going brown) and put the whole lot on a gentle heat on the hob.

It was now time to blind bake the pastry case. I pricked the bottom, lined it with greaseproof paper and filled it with baking beans (the first use of a set I acquired from my mum who was getting rid of them when she had her kitchen done, she doesn't do a lot of pastry either) and put it in the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes, removed the baking beads and then baked for another 5 minutes. The times were a bit of guess work, but it seemed to come out ok apart from a few cracks. There was nothing I could do about that now but hopefully I would have avoided a soggy bottom.

The filling was coming on. The butter and sugar had combined into a liquid that was bubbling away and I just kept moving the apples around in this syrup. I must admit that I was slightly worried about just how liquidy it was looking so I put in an emergency call to my mum. She was out so, since she has yet to fully embrace the benefits of mobile technology, I would just have to carry on and hope it turned out ok. I might have added a bit more sugar but I had run out, that would probably have been futile anyway since sugar is not renowned for its thickening properties. I could have added some corn flour, but based on previous corn flour addition disasters that was a risk I wasn't prepared to take. So I just carried on and hoped for the best.



That turned out to be the right decision as eventually the liquid turned more syrupy and then more toffee-y and the apples took on more of a caramel hue. I took my cue to turn the heat off when it was just about starting to burn in places. But this was a good sort of burn – it smelt amazing.

All the above was done before our visitors arrived so all that was left to do was to assemble and finish off cooking when it was pudding time. (Which was a good job as we had all had a rather exciting and tiring day out at a local “tourist farm”. http://www.pennywellfarm.co.uk/) I had actually got a little bit of pastry left over and made a few bits of lattice and an apple to shape to go on top of the tart. This is advanced for me but unlikely to win any prizes in the decoration stakes. It baked at 180°C for about another 20 minutes (which just about gave enough time for our toad-in-the-hole and mashed potato to go down).



Matt, my husband, volunteered to do the honours of serving. I would like to say that it was this that resulted in the ensuing mess but much more likely it was the fact that the pastry was so fragile. Still, we managed to serve decent looking pieces to our visitors and we had the more mangled looking portions (all served with a little bit of vanilla ice-cream). But I must say the appearance paled into insignificance with the first mouthful. It was absolutely scrumptious. I just need to work on the architectural aspect of my pastry (it tasted good) and we're going to have a truly special pudding in our mouths.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment