Tuesday 25 June 2013

Monday's cherry assembly

After band last night I needed to deal with 2kg of cherries. I'd got these for the bargain price of £5 at a foodie market at a conservation charity's property,  which is all very well but 5kg is rather a lot.


I love cherries and it would have been entirely possible for me to eat the lot as they came but I am sensible enough to know that while this would have been very pleasant for my taste buds and given me a lovely sugar rush, the effect on my intestines would not be as enjoyable.
This is about four fifths of the cherry haul

So I had put out an appeal via social media for what to do with my cherries. Pie or crumble seemed to be popular options. Black forest gateau was also mentioned. I would love to make (well eat) a black forest gateau but time would not permit on this occasion.

A few ideas for cherry preservation were suggested: 
  • Pre-treatment and then freezing - I may yet resort to this but it seems somehow boring
  • Jam - would have been lovely but I have no suitable jars (not having anticipated any preserve making I haven't been saving them)
  • Cherry brandy - which I can only imagine as something very medicinal tasting


Matt, my husband, had found half a bottle of vodka in one of our cupboards a few days previously (whilst looking for some sherry I think). This was quite possibly left over from our wedding, nearly 5 years ago. So while cherry vodka seems hardly less likely to end up medicinal tasting than cherry brandy it would at least make sense based on the available ingredients.

Firstly I did a bit of cherry picking and chopped out any bits that weren't looking so nice, followed by a rinse. Then Matt joined me in a production line: he cut and stoned and I dropped the cherries into the bottle. The dropping made a very satisfying sound. It was while I was doing the dropping that I realised why it would have been a better idea to use a wide topped bottle: the removal of the cherries will be a challenge.


We added some sugar (arbitrarily 4 tablespoons) and then gave the bottle a good shake around.
The other fifth of the cherries are in here
We'll see just how medicinal it tastes in a few months. And if I can manage to get the cherries out there'll be a boozy black forest gateau to boot.

In the meantime there are still loads of cherries left so my intestines are still not safe....


No comments:

Post a Comment