Sunday 9 June 2013

Friday's paradise slice

The dual aim of the Paradise Slice was to use up a load of dessicated coconut and prepare a tasty snack for us during a team building event the following day. I seem to recall my granny making something called Paradise Slice when I was little - I've no idea if this resembled this what I made.

The recipe directed that you should melt some chocolate to make a topping for this. Based on the expected weather this seemed like a very bad idea for something that I planned to carry up a "mountain" with no cooling facilities so I amended the recipe to include some chocolate in the main mix. 

It was a pleasingly simple recipe, ideal for making on a Friday night after a long working week. You basically beat together 100g butter (or fake butter) and 200g sugar. Then you beat in 2 eggs and 200g dessicated coconut. Finally you stir through 100g sultanas, 100g glacĂ© cherries and I think I added about 150g of chopped chocolate - a mixture of plain and white. Even more pleasingly you will note that this requires only one bowl, thus creating minimal washing up.

Then you press it into a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 140°C for about half an hour - until golden. Because you've baked it with baking paper you don't even really need to wash up the baking tray.

I neglected to take a photo of this but can assure you it looked delicious. Matt, my husband, kindly chopped it up into pieces in preparation for sharing with the team. 

I think that the verdict was one of approval - I certainly enjoyed it. And it made a good breakfast this morning for my post night out hypoglycaemia.
The remains of the cake

No comments:

Post a Comment