Friday 8 March 2013

Thursday's slack lasagne


I’ve taken to posting pics of my culinary creations on the internet and one of my friends suggested that I write a cookery blog as I’m "a domestic goddess".

Well, if you could see the state of our kitchen (or indeed any other room in our house) that goddess bit falls down. But I’ve been thinking about writing something for a while (I have a job that doesn’t permit for much creative expression!) so here goes….

I think that you’re supposed to come up with an amusing name for your blog but that eludes me at the mo, so for now it will be called "slack lasagne" after this first entry. I suppose the “theme” will be loosely around my exploits in the kitchen but this is liable to tangentalise into other topics, as is my habit.

I am yet to develop the advanced skill of planning meals in advance thus much of my cooking is based on what we happen to have in the cupboards and fridge, and this was just one of those occasions. And after my husband Matt announced to me this morning that he had found some lasagne sheets next to his porridge there was no other option in my mind.

So I spent my day off buying tea cups and glasses in charity shops, knitting a swan-a-swimming and doing some swimming myself (before I was interrupted by the lifeguard requesting that I get out because someone had been sick in the pool – which put pay to my plan of 100 lengths today!). And before you know it’s time to make dinner.

I had stopped on my way back from the pool to pick up some crème fraiche which quite often comes to the rescue in my cooking but that was the extent of my planning. I have a box full of recipes which I’ve pulled out of magazines over the last 5 years or so, most of which I will probably never make but which I feel compelled to sift through every time I’m making something new. Just in case there’s a good recipe. There wasn’t. So then I browse through the indexes of my recipe books for the keywords.

Today these were spinach and / or mushroom and I was led to “spinach lasagne”. Checking the list of ingredients I was pleasantly surprised to see that mushrooms also featured – albeit the “wild” variety rather than my budget supermarket box. I didn’t have any cheshire cheese but there’s been half a packet of feta sat in the fridge for the last couple of weeks and some pecorino, which would join some cheddar in a happy trio of cheese and recipe adulteration. I didn’t have the stated amount of spinach (who seriously ever keeps more than 1 bag at a time?) but an excess of mushrooms would surely make up for this along with a generous quantity of white onions (instead of the suggested tiny amount of spring onions which I always find a bit awkward anyway). Sadly the recipe didn’t call for crème fraiche but I found half a pot in the fridge which needed using up so that went into the white sauce. The new pot will be put to use another day.

And 2 hours later, after minimal adherence to the original recipe and using more utensils than I generally like to, we tucked in to a delicious cheesy dinner. It took less than 10 minutes for us each to polish off a portion. Fortunately there’s seconds for tomorrow.

Slack lasagne
  •  Lasagne sheets
  • About 750g of vegetabley stuff all cooked up - today this was onions, garlic, spinach and mushrooms mixed up with feta and cheddar and a bit of nutmeg
  • White / cheese sauce made with 600ml milk - today this had crème fraiche and pecorino in it

In a large oven proof dish put half of the veg stuff, then a layer of lasagne sheets, then half of the white sauce, then a layer of lasagne sheets, then the rest of the veg stuff, another layer of lasagne sheets, then the rest of the white sauce. Finish with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Bake at about 200°C for about half an hour (until the cheese on top is cooked up nicely).

No comments:

Post a Comment