Sunday 24 March 2013

Saturday's cake marathon


After a late arrival at my mum and dad’s, a later pizza (my dad is now legendary for these) and an even later night I was not likely to be getting up early to complete this morning’s culinary tasks.

My athletic friend Alex had organised a bake sale to raise money for Farm Africa who she is running the London Marathon for next month. I had possibly been overambitious in my promised offerings: ginger muffins, lemon muffins, marmalade cake and chocolate brownies. Plus a quiz. And some reconstructed “vintage” cake stands.

Knowing that there would be a lot of cake to come this afternoon I skipped breakfast, topped up with caffeine and set to work on the cakes. Today’s bakes were to be tried and tested recipes, not wanting to be too adventurous in someone else’s kitchen. The limited time available, using my mum’s kitchen and her inevitable “help” would be challenge enough. (In fairness my mum’s seemingly continuous washing up was immensely helpful.)

The marmalade cake had to be done early as it needed to cool before icing. I first made this a few weeks ago in response to my glut of marmalade and it was certified a success by my friends Sarah and Andrew, and particularly by their 22 month old son. All went according to plan until it came to line the tin (recipes always say to do this first but I find it boring so don’t bother until just before cooking) and discovered that mum didn’t have the right size cake tin. This is a woman who has two, not insubstantial, cupboards dedicated to bakeware and an extensive baking history. It was not unreasonable for me to assume that she would have a 20cm round tin. We engaged my in some rudimentary mathematics and I was persuaded that I could bake the same volume of cake in two loaf tins.

Two cakes for the price of one into the oven.

While they were cooking I set to work on the lemon muffins. At which point I discovered I didn’t have the ideal ingredients. The basic was possible but I like to add poppy seeds for texture and lemon extract for turbo lemon flavour. So I despatched my husband, Matt, off to the shops.

And meanwhile I put the finishing touches to my cryptic bakes picture quiz. First devised on Thursday evening it needed modifying (apparently some clues were much too hard), adding too (you can never have too many cryptic bake quiz clues), and the answers putting into a visually agreeable format (the cryptic bake quiz makes a very pleasing PowerPoint® presentation). It was just like an assignment where you think that you’ve finished and nearly submit it when you realise that all your references are in a right mess.

Cakes out. Muffins in (but only just with poppy seeds as someone in the shop overheard Matt on the phone telling me that he couldn’t find any and kindly placed some in his basket). Quiz work on-going.

The excellent chocolate brownie recipe was given to me by a friend who doesn’t eat wheat and uses ground almonds rather than flour. It requires four separated eggs. I do not class egg separation as one of my skills. My success rate is usually about 50%. I often enlist Matt to do it for me but he was busy with glue and crockery so I went for it myself. And had 100% success.

Muffins out, brownies in. Quiz work on-going.

I had made two cake stands at home with top of the range super glue but had brought the rest to finish here. Unfortunately I forgot to bring the top of the range super glue. Cue crockery and glue fiasco. Suffice to say only the original two cake stands went to the bake sale.

I delegated Matt the task of icing, which as you know is not something that I relish. He completed this with aplomb whilst I did the next batch of muffins. Mum had baked some gingerbread and I thought that to avoid repetition I ought to go for a different flavour. In a moment of inspiration I decided on white chocolate and cranberry, never tried these before but the muffin recipe is very versatile and it’s usually a good flavour combination. Fortuitously both were available in mum’s randomly stocked kitchen.

Brownies out (smelling divine). Muffins in. Quiz work on-going.

Somehow it was now lunchtime. Still in anticipation of an afternoon of cakey goodness I just had a small mug of soup (I didn’t even have any cheese which is always such a treat at mum and dad’s as there is such a vast selection available). 

Muffins out. Quiz work complete with a little help from dad with the printing. Mad rush to get to the bake sale on.
IMAG0276.jpg

It was great. Loads of people turned up and I was able to catch up with quite a few friends. And as planned eat lots of cake. I had some almond slice, chocolate biscuit cake, chocolate brownie and I’m sure something else but it slips my mind just now. All delicious. We won an embarrassing number of raffle prizes (but there were loads of prizes). The quiz seemed to be enjoyed and two small boys (who had been keenly selling raffle tickets) certainly enjoyed pressing the buttons for the PowerPoint® presentation. And I got a new spider plant. We used to have a fantastic one with lots of baby spider plants but it died some time ago so hopefully this one will fill that void in my life.

Apparently the event raised nearly £500 – fantastic and really helps Alex on the way to her fundraising target. So inspiring I think I might just plan a bake sale of my own.

Here's the link if you'd like to contribute to Alex's fundraising:

No comments:

Post a Comment