Friday 2 August 2013

Thursday's fajitas

We had a good selection of vegetables in the fridge, including some home grown courgettes from my brother-in-law, plus peppers, onions, mushrooms and carrots. The obvious choice was going to be stir-fry but when I tried to identify some sort of protein to go with this (usually prawns or vegetarian chicken style pieces) the freezer was depleted. I went to the cupboard and extracted a tin of cannellini beans, these would be somewhat unconventional for a stir fry but edible nonetheless. I also got out a tin of pineapple that I found in my search for beans. Pineapple and soy sauce is one of my favourite types of stir fry.

I started chopping the onion and had a sudden change of heart. Stir fry was off, fajitas were on. This would have the bonus of using up some aged wraps from the freezer and could also involve cheese. I really fancied some cheese and it was hardly an appropriate pairing for stir-fry.

The first stages of the fajita process were identical to those for stir fry. Namely the extensive chopping of vegetables. I have found that carrot never cooks enough in these circumstances unless very thin so have taken to making ribbons out of it with the peeler. Some minor level of skill is required in the order of addition to the wok: onion, pepper, carrot (in ribbons, it would have to go in earlier if it was any fatter), fajita spice (I cheat and use a pre-mix from a packet), courgette, mushroom.

I decided not to add the beans to the main mix but to turn them into some sort of refried beans. I didn't think that I had much time before the veggies would be done so this was going to have to be a total improvisation (apart from containing beans of course). I whizzed the beans in the food processor with half a red onion (I figured if the onion didn't cook red was better than white) and 2 cloves of garlic. Then this went into a small pan with more olive oil than I would usually use (most of the time I use at most one tablespoon, here I heated up 3 tablespoons), I suppose I could have put some spices in but decided to keep it simply for my first attempt.

It was all just about ready when Matt decided that he wanted to go for a swim. I had already been and was feeling slightly peckish but I was not about to discourage my husband from engaging in some exercise, so I turned off all the flames and entertained myself for the next hour or so.

Matt let me know when he was leaving the pool and all that was left to do was cut up a bit of lettuce, grate some cheese (and eat up those little left over bits that you can't grate because it's too close to your fingers) and to reheat the veggies and beans. I suppose this could be seen as the re-frying part. At this point I realised that I hadn't seasoned the beans so hastily mixed in some vegetable stock powder (this was more easily to hand than the salt) and black pepper.

I am yet to discover a way of heating up wraps so that they stay both warm and soft. The loss of heat must be to do with their large surface area. Putting the wraps in the oven turns them into crisps so for now the microwave seems to be the best option for a bit of heat.

These particular wraps were on the small side and I grossly overfilled mine. To be honest I always grossly overfill, because I prefer the fillings to the wrappings. So I had to pin my wrap together with a cocktail stick and eat it with a knife and fork rather than my fingers. (Which is a shame because I do enjoy eating cutlery-less from time to time.) But (even with cutlery) the fajitas were very enjoyable – augmented with squirty salsa, gaucamole and sour cream.


The beans turned out to be delicious – I can't believe that I haven't done something like this with them before. I think this could be a very versatile technique.


In case you were wondering I had the pineapple chunks for breakfast this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment